One of the many things that we see and treat at La Peau is inflammation. Not only do we care about your skin we also care about the health of your gut and feeding your skin from the inside out. Today we are discussing a few ways that you can combat inflammation for good! By following an anti-inflammatory diet, you can fight off inflammation for good. How can an anti-inflammatory diet benefit you? Our immune system becomes activated when our body recognises anything that is foreign, such as chemicals, plant pollen and microbes. This often triggers a process called inflammation. One of the most powerful ways that we can reduce inflammation is simply choosing what to put into our bodies. Choosing the right anti-inflammatory foods will help you reduce your risk of chronic illnesses like diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and depression.
Chronic inflammation can be caused by many things, triggers even as simple as stress, imbalance in the body and environmental factors all contribute to increases in inflammatory markers. Chronic psychological stress is linked to the body losing its ability to regulate the inflammatory response. According to studies “inflammation is partly regulated by the hormone cortisol and when cortisol is not allowed to serve this function, inflammation can get out of control.” The best way to battle inflammation is simply by being health conscious and making better decisions towards your food choices. So, what foods should you be eating in moderation?
• Refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and pastries
• French fries and other fried foods
• Soft drinks and other sugar-sweetened beverages
• Red processed meat, such as hot dogs and sausages
• Margarine, shortening, and processed oils
It has been clinically proven that when the digestive balance is off, the gut becomes overrun with bad bacteria, which can lead to skin-aggravating inflammation. This inflammation can cause acne, redness, sensitivity, and even the breakdown of collagen, which can cause wrinkles.
When looking at foods to consume, you should aim towards foods and beverages with anti-inflammatory purposes. Here are some examples:
1. Fibre. Eating a fibre-rich diet protects against inflammation. The bacteria in our guts metabolize fibre to produce short-chain fatty acids which decrease inflammatory processes and boost the immune system.
2. Plant-based proteins. Nuts, seeds, and legumes are great alternatives to meat and poultry. Soy foods such as edamame or tofu are great also!
3. Fruit and veggies. Aim for at least seven servings of non-starchy fruits and vegetables daily. These include beets, berries, tomatoes, cherries, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, and garlic.
4. Herbs and spices. Many spices have anti-inflammatory properties, including turmeric, ginger, basil, cinnamon, cayenne, and oregano. A bonus: Replacing salt and sugar with herbs and spices is better for you, but it’s also tastier.
5. Omega-3s. Omega-3s are heart-healthy, mood-boosting and anti-inflammatory. Good sources include salmon, tuna, and sardines.
Vita-Sol is a brand that we proudly stock at La Peau. The brand is all about feeding the skin from within and working closely with quality and natural ingredients to create their delicious wholefood powders. They use organic plant-derived vitamins, minerals, sprouted blends, pre and post biotics and bio-active plant compounds. Vita-Sol’s ‘Infinity’ powder is great for Antioxidant support! Filled with a polyphenol-rich prebiotic inner beauty blend, it’s perfect for treating sun-damaged, pigmented, and ageing skin.
Vita-Sol Wholefood powders are so versatile that you can even incorporate them into juices and smoothies. The ‘Greener than green’ smoothie is perfect for liver detoxification and an amazing system cleanser. The smoothie is combined with ‘Purity’ Wholefood Powder, containing alkaline greens, green kiwi fruit powder, milk thistle and dandelion. It’s a great smoothie for eczema, acne, milia, psoriasis, cleansing, hormonal pigmentation. Detox greens go hand-in-hand with cleanse and acne skin care products.
Shop Purity here: https://lapeau.com.au/product-category/vita-sol/
Check out the recipe here: https://www.vita-sol.com/blogs/recipes/greener-than-green
Contact us for more information!
P: (07) 3207 4100
A: Suite 12/120 Birkdale Road, Birkdale